Are you new to the world of vlogging, and wondering what type of camera you should be using? If you’re just getting started, it’s probably not a good idea to go out and spend a tonne money on an ultra high-end camera. You may even find that you don’t enjoy vlogging, and you don’t want to have wasted a lot of money on a camera you aren’t going to get a lot of use out of. So it would be a good idea to start by looking at some Budget Vlogging cameras, so you can get to grips with everything without spending lots of money.
A lot of people think that you need to have an expensive camera to produce a great vlog. This is not always the case. There are plenty of professional, feature-packed cameras out there that will cost less than $300. Today, we’re going to look at six of our all-time favorites.
What to Look For
There are certain features that you should look for in a decent vlogging camera. For starters, choose a camera that’s not only fast but also has a wide-angle lens.
This is going to allow you to capture more light, which is important if you’re going to be shooting in low light situations. Other important features that you should look for in a good vlogging cameras include:
- Sensor Size – In addition to a wide-angle lens, the sensor plays a significant role in the amount of light the camera can see. With this in mind, look for a camera that has a large sensor.
- OIS – It’s important to choose a camera that has Optical Image Stabilization. This is important if you’re filming moving subjects or objects, for example; nature, sports or people.
- Wi-Fi – You will need to have a camera that can sync to your smartphone and other wireless devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. This allows you to upload and edit your images while you’re out and about recording the world around you.
- Flip Screen – By investing in a camera which has a flip screen allows you to see what’s being recorded from various angles. This can come in particularly handy if you’re recording yourself.
- Mic Input – Not all cameras have this feature, but it’s a good one to look for. This way, you can connect a microphone for better, more professional sounding audio.
The Nikon COOLPIX B500 digital camera has a 40X optical zoom lens and an 80X dynamic zoom. It also has a NIKKOR f/3.0-6.5mm ED lens, and it’s 22.5-00mm (equivalent to 35mm). You can enjoy shooting videos in full HD, recording at 30 frames per second.
The Nikon COOLPIX range of products has a very renowned and market-driven presence. Go into any camera shop or search cameras online, and you can be sure that this product line comes up. In short, this camera has a lot to live up to. But, it’s safe to say that this camera is one of the market leaders for a reason.
This is simply a great camera. Whether you’re a beginner or aspiring vlogger or even a professional photographer or videographer, this camera will outperform any initial preconceptions that you have. The design and body of the camera itself are well laid out, and initiative and the features inside are excellent.
Having used this, and previous models, for many years now, this is easily one of the reliable and durable cameras that I own. The image and video quality are exceptional, especially the video functions. You can use this camera as a simple point-and-shoot, or you can spend the time adjusting your settings so you can capture the image that you want to capture.
In short, this camera is ideal for vloggers at any stage in their career, and it should be near the top of your consideration list.
Some of the most beneficial features include:
- Full HD Recording – With this superior camera, you’ll be able to shoot your videos in full-HD 1080p, with high-quality stereo sound. The 4-axis hybrid vibration reduction feature ensures that even if you’re shaky, your videos won’t be.
- Zoom – If you can’t get up close and personal with your subject, don’t worry, because the 40X Optical Zoom will let you take photos from a distance. You can go even further with the 80X Dynamic Fine Zoom feature.
- Sensor – This camera has an outstanding 16-megapixel backside illuminated CMOS sensor. This allows you to capture all details, even in low light situations and environments.
Pros and Cons
- Connectivity – This camera has built-in Wi-Fi, NFC, and low-energy Bluetooth capabilities so you can always have your camera connected to your wireless device, regardless of whether you’re at home, in the studio or out and about.
- Snapbridge – The new, innovative Snapbridge feature works as a remote control so you can control the camera remotely. This is great if you’re recording yourself because you don’t have to reach for anything to adjust your shot.
- LCD Display – Easily monitor your recordings with the tilting LCD-display. This display screen is three inches in size, making it easy to see everything you’re shooting in crisp detail.
- Connectivity – Some users have complained that there are experiencing problems when connecting their cameras to phones with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
One of the last things you’ll want while shooting your videos is camera shake. An unsteady video can be nauseating to watch, so ensure that you have a camera that has a proactive IS system.
The Canon PowerShot SX620 HS has ‘Intelligent IS,’ allowing you to have increased image stabilization, so videos and images are free of shakes.
No matter what event, situation or environment you’re shooting in, you’ll need a camera that can easily adjust to be perfect and ready to go at all times. That’s exactly what this Canon model excels in. No matter what feature you question, it’s safe to say that this camera performs that function exceptionally.
The images are crisp and clear, the videos are steady and recorded in full-HD, and the entire design, both the body and the onscreen menus have been created to be as easy to use as possible. There are two main drawbacks, however, to using this camera.
Firstly, the traditional Canon settings wheel has vanished from this model, meaning it’s a bit more a chore than necessary to achieve your desired settings. Also, the flash isn’t automatic, but these are tiny drawbacks that I personally don’t class as a deal breaker.
Additionally, you’ll be able to benefit from features that include:
- Optical Zoom – The powerful optical zoom is 25X, so you can get up close and personal, even if you’re not physically close to your subject.
- Wi-Fi – This camera has built-in Wi-Fi and NFC. This means you can easily transfer and share images and videos, even if you’re on the move.
- Low Light – Even if you find yourself shooting in low light situations, you’ll still be able to achieve great images thanks to the 20.2MP CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 4+ image processor.
Pros and Cons
- LCD Screen – The large, three-inch LCD screen allows you to see everything you’re recording in great detail. This screen can flip to any angle you require, allowing you to use it to monitor videos while simultaneously recording yourself.
- Dynamic IS – When you’re shooting videos, you can take full control by using the Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS or Active Tripod IS modes, giving crystal-clear footage with minimal shake distortion.
- iMAGE GATEWAY – You can upload and post your videos to social networks effortlessly right from your camera using the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY feature. This system is both iOS and Android-compatible.
- Flash – Some users have complained about the flash on this camera. Depending on your personal preference, you may prefer an automatic flash. Unfortunately, this camera sports a manual, pop-up flash that doesn’t automatically activate in low-light conditions.
Here’s another little gem from Canon that we love when vlogging. The Canon 0111C001 PowerShot SX610 offers 18X optical zoom (25-450mm) and a 20.2MP high-sensitivity CMOS sensor with a DIGIC 4+ image processor. This allows you to capture great photos and videos in any lighting conditions.
Another winning model from Canon, I simply adore this camera. I purchased this camera as my personal camera to use at home or simply out and about during my free time. That saves me having to lug around a tonne of equipment if you’re simply going for a Sunday afternoon walk!
This camera has yet to let me down. The quality of the content captured by this device is unparalleled, especially when you consider the price compared to other cameras that exceed the $1,000 mark. The zoom function is incredible and will effortlessly provide you with sharp images, and the lighting balance is perfect, even in low-light environments.
For vloggers, this is an ideal starting camera. It’s easy enough for beginners to pick up and use straight away and you have the option to start learning the features as your skills progress.
Some of these leading features include:
- Movies – Enjoy shooting 1080p full HD videos on a camera that has a dedicated movie button. The system will select Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro IS, or Tripod IS modes.
- Hybrid Auto – This feature allows you to record videos up to four seconds long each time you photograph a still image. This is ideal for experimenting with to create awesome highlight reels.
- Wi-Fi – Use the built-in Wi-Fi to wirelessly transfer images and videos to all compatible devices quickly and easily.
Pros and Cons
- LCD Screen – The large, three-inch LCD screen has a 922,000-dot resolution. This means you can see every photo, video, and captured media clearly, even from wide angles. This is great for monitoring videos while shooting as well as being able to see your subject with outstanding clarity.
- Accessories – This camera comes complete with a battery pack, a battery charger, an AC cable, a wrist strap, and an easy-to-read manual. This means it’s ready to use right out of the box.
- NFC – The Near Field Communication technology allows you to touch the NFC icon to be able to instantly share images and videos without having to open the Canon Camera Connect app.
- Pausing – Some users report that there’s a long delay between pressing the shutter and the photo being taken. This has caused some users to have missed a lot of important shots.
The Panasonic LUMIX ZS50 camera comes with a 30X Leica DC Vario-ELMAR lens. It has enhanced low-light sensitivity, so you can get high-clarity shots in low light conditions, even if you aren’t using a flash.
You’ll also love the built-in eye viewfinder that provides you with a clear view of your desired angle and framing, even on the brightest of days.
Previously, I’ve always tended to steer clear of the Lumix range. It’s not because I don’t like them, I’ve always found myself opting for Canon or Nikon brands and never really found the opportunity to explore the Panasonic range in-depth, only trialing them here and there.
However, I was awe-struck when my friend gave me this camera as a hand-me-down. It’s made me wish I can go back in time and discover the Lumix range years ago! This camera is simply superb! The image quality is incredible, the video capture resolution is outstanding, and now I never leave my home without it.
What’s great about this camera is simply how durable it is. Me and my team were caught in a horrific storm while shooting but we persisted. Surprisingly, this camera survived the entire trip in full working order! As far as Budget Vlogging cameras go, I cannot rate this camera highly enough. Whether you’re out in the field or at home in your studio, this camera will give you everything you need!
Some of the more beneficial features consist of:
- AF Technology – This camera has an incredible 23 autofocus This technology allows you to enjoy perfect focusing with Contrast Detect, Tracking, Continuous, Face Detection, Live View, and much more.
- Exposure Controls – Shoot with many automatic exposure controls, including Intelligent Auto, Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual, Custom ½, Panorama Shot, Scene, and Creative Control. This grants you full creative control over your footage, enabling you to capture the perfect shot that you want to capture.
- Focal Length – With the Level Shot function off, the focal length is 28-140mm in 16: video recording. With Level Shot function off, the focal length is 30-900mm. This again gives you complete control of your footage, allowing you to take the perfect shot every time.
Pros and Cons
- Flash – With some cameras, the flash is always on, whether you need it or not. This camera gives you the option to turn off the flash when it isn’t needed, creating a clearer shot while saving you precious battery life.
- Picture Quality – Many users report that they simply love the picture quality. They say that they can produce magazine/website-quality photos with minimal effort.
- IS – With the image stabilization technology, you’ll be able to capture awe-inspiring photos and videos, even at long distances with no blurring from camera shake.
- Lens – Some customers have reported that the lens is “flimsy.” There’s also a reoccurring issue that dust that can’t be cleaned out has appeared beneath it.
The Sony DSCWX350 camera provides you access to an outstanding 18 MP, 20X optical zoom device that prides itself with a 40X Clear Image Zoom G Lens. These features mean you can always be sure that your subjects are in perfect focus while using the Lock-On AF.
I love Sony cameras. If you were to give me a choice to only use one camera brand for the rest of my photography career, I would probably opt for a Sony, simply on the fact that their product range is so diverse and consistent. The same applies to this model.
Designed to be an easy to use point-and-shoot, this is the perfect vlogging companion, no matter who you are or what you want it for. With a 20x optical zoom and 40x Clear image technology, I’ve always enjoyed high-quality, crisp clarity images, no matter what environment I’m shooting in.
What’s more, this camera prides itself on its outstanding 4K video capture resolution, ideal for vloggers who want their videos to be the best quality possible.
Some of the other innovative features of this device include:
- Motion Shot Video – If you love getting creative, you’re going to adore this feature. This playback function will let you track the movements of your subject, so you can create visuals that let you study pathways and forms. This is a great to experiment with, enabling you to achieve a unique and captivating visual effect.
- Video1 – Enjoy shooting smooth Video1, along with still images, thanks to the BIONZ X processor. This works alongside the Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Intelligent Active Mode for sharp images with low noise and blur.
- Wi-Fi – Even if you’re shooting on the go, you can easily edit and share your videos directly to your smartphone or another compatible wireless device. Furthermore, it only takes a couple of minutes and a few clicks!
Pros and Cons
- Low Light – The 20.4MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor lets you capture inspirational, breathtaking images and videos, even when you don’t have perfect lighting conditions to work in.
- Videos – The sensor, when combined with the BIONZ X image processor, lets you shoot quickly, up to 10fps, and you can use Anti Motion Blur, Hand-Held, Twilight, and 1080p movie modes.
- HDMI – You can connect this camera directly to any compatible 4K television via the integrated HDMI connection. You can also connect to HDTV’s to see full HD 1080p resolution images.
- Photo Quality – Some users report that they’re unhappy with the picture quality, and have ended up with a lot of blurred shots, particularly in low light situations. However, it’s uncertain which settings these users were implementing.
If you’re into water sports, and long to become a leading vlogging in this adventure activity, you’ll need a camera that will work flawlessly by your side. The Olympus TG-870 is a ruggedly designed, waterproof digital camera that allows you to capture all your favorite water sports footage, perfect for high-octane vlogging.
As a vlogger, you may find yourself in all manner of situations. One day you could be sat in your room or studio recording yourself talking to your followers. The next, you could find yourself surfing along a golden beach front or even jumping out of a plane! Ah, the life of a vlogger!
However, no matter what you’re up to or what you’re recording, you need a camera that can keep up and will always be by yourself. That’s where this Olympus camera comes in. With ultra wide-angles, waterproof, shockproof and crushproof technology and super macro modes, this camera really does give you everything you need to make the best videos you can.
I’ve used this camera on assignment from time to time, especially diverse ones where, as above, you’re recording a variety of different situations, but you don’t want to be carrying around a tonne of different cameras. The camera is easy to learn how to use, making it suitable for beginners and professionals alike.
The only downside I found to this camera was the audio quality, but if you’re using a dedicated mic, or you’re simply going to add background music over the top of your vlogs, this won’t even matter!
Some of the most innovative features include:
- The Lens – This camera has a 21mm, ultra-wide-angle lens with a 5X optical zoom. This is going to be ideal for water sports, allowing you to get up close and personal with your subjects or point of focus.
- Super Macro Settings – If you really want to get in tight on your subject, you can use the Super Macro mode. This is perfect for when you want to get great close-up stills to insert into your videos. This is ideal for capturing those all-important action frames that will add a professional edge to your videos.
- Creative Art Filters – This camera will really bring out your creative side. It has 13 Art Filters, as well as a Live Composite mode. This is ideal for creating vibrant footage with a unique perspective, enabling you to give your followers something new and exciting through your vlogs.
Pros and Cons
- Durability – The camera can be taken to depths of up to 50-feet (15 meters). It’s also shockproof up to 7-feet (2.1 meters), crushproof up to 220 lbs of force, and freezeproof up to 14°F (-10°C). That’s an insane level of durability.
- Versatility – This is one of the most versatile little cameras you’re going to find for under $300. You can use it for shooting just about any type of event, hobby, etc., as well as enjoying the professional ability of capture high-clarity images in any lighting conditions.
- Flip Monitor – The LCD flip monitor can be adjusted so you can easily watch the content that’s being recorded while recording yourself in action.
- Not Waterproof – There have been some reports that some devices have leaked and collected moisture while being used underwater. However, this product does come with a warranty where you can replace your device if this is a problem.
Budget Vlogging Cameras Conclusion…
As you can see, there’s really no need to go out and spend upwards of $1,000 on a camera for your vlogging endeavors. As long as your preferred camera has the most important features that we discussed at the beginning of this article, you can get quality videos that are going to look great in your YouTube vlogs.
Combined, you’ll be able to produce high-quality videos that your followers and subscribers will love, taking you step by step towards a successful vlogging career.
If you want to upgrade to something with more features later, go ahead.
But these budget vlogging cameras are perfect for those who are taking their first steps into the world of YouTube.