A large amount of vloggers are making a pretty good living on YouTube, but it didn’t necessarily happen for them overnight.
Yes, some cameras YouTubers use such as Roman Atwood are popular for other reasons, but all of them still had to start somewhere.
In addition to having a great format, interesting content, etc., YouTubers need to have good gear to work with, including cameras.
Today we are going to look at the cameras YouTubers use by some of the most popular YouTubers, and why they like these cameras so much. (This is just a snippet of some of the cameras they use, not all of them)
- 1 Casey Nesitat – Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
- 2 Roman Atwood – Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V 20.1 MP Digital Still Camera
- 3 PewDiePie – Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory and Full Manual Control
- 4 ShayTards – Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Digital Camera
- 5 BFvsGF – Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 12.1MP Digital Camera
- 6 Joey Graceffa – Canon G7 X 9546B001 PowerShot Digital Camera
- 7 Jacksgap – Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS with 1080p Full-HD Video Mode Digital SLR Camera (Body)
- 8 Zoella – Canon PowerShot S120 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera
- 9 Connor Franta – Canon EOS Rebel T5i EF-S 18-55 IS STM Kit
- 10 FaZe Rain – Canon G7 X 9546B001 PowerShot Digital Camera (again)
One of the things that makes a great camera is the fact that it can be used with a variety of lenses.
That is one of the things Casey Nesitat likes about the Canon EOS 70D digital SLR camera body. This camera is compatible with Canon STM lenses. If you watch any of Casey’s vlogs, you will know that he is constantly chopping and changing aspects of his recording rig. Meaning this Canon camera is a firm favourite of his.
– LCD Screen – The three-inch LCD screen is large and displays images with excellent clarity. This is a touch panel screen with 1,040,000 dots.
– Instant Sharing – The built-in Wi-Fi allows you to share video files instantly. It also acts as a remote control.
– Manual Shooting – When using video, you can enjoy shooting in full manual mode, which helps you to learn more about photography and videography.
Pros and Cons
- Dual Pixel – The CMOS AF allows for fast focusing in live videos.
- Flash – There is a built-in flash, as well as a hot shoe to attach an external flash.
- GPS – This camera is GPS-compatible (GPS unit sold separately).
- Focusing – Some users report that the focusing system doesn’t work very well and would recommend a different camera body.
Whether he needs video or still shots, Roman Atwood knows that he can get it just right with the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 V 20.1 MP digital still camera. In fact, if you really like something you see in a video, you can capture it as a still shot as well.
This is a lightweight camera that is easy to carry around, which makes it easy for him to shoot his pranks as well as daily vlogs. Using this camera definitely makes him Smile More! (get it?)
– AF System – The world’s fastest hybrid AF system (0.05 seconds), and the most AF points.
– Full HD – Shoot professional-quality, 4K movies, and even shoot in super slow-motion HFR (High Frame Rate).
– Low Light – Shoot in low light and still capture everything with great low-light and low-noise capability.
Pros and Cons
- Readout Speed – The DRAM chip gives you extremely fast readout speed.
- Display – The three-inch Xtra Fine LCD display rotates in various angles and has 1,229 dots.
- WhiteMagic – Get better visibility in bright light situations for better videos and photos.
- Flash – There is a small, built-in flash, but there is no hot shoe to connect an external flash.
PewDiePie – Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory and Full Manual Control
As a busy vlogger, PewDiPie knows that it is important to have a camera that is going to let them have full control over what they are doing. That is why this Swedish YouTuber uses the Canon XA10 professional camcorder with an internal flash for video game commentary and hilarious facial reactions.
– Drives – This camcorder has a 64GB internal flash drive, and two slots for SDXC-compatible memory cards.
– Relay Recording – When the internal memory is full, it automatically switches to the SD cards.
– Recording Time – Enjoy 12 consecutive hours of recording time before it stops and restarts.
Pros and Cons
- Memory – Between the internal memory and two memory cards, you get 73.5 hours of recording time on the LP setting.
- HD Lens – This camera has a Canon 10X HD zoom lens with a 35mm equivalent of 30.4mm-304mm.
- Image Processor – The DIGIC DV III Image Processor offers lifelike tonal gradations and enhanced shading.
- Pro – While being marketed as a professional camcorder, some users say it is more of an introductory camera and not great for professional videos.
Shay Carl of Shaytards uses YouTube to display vlogumentaries of his family and their daily activities, so of course, he needs a camera that is going to give him great video quality, as well as take awesome still shots. He gets that with the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II digital camera.
– Image Processor – The DIGIC 7 image processor allows for better auto focus tracking and image clarity.
– Lens – This camera has an f/1.-2. Lens that lets you capture great images, even in low light settings.
– HD Video – Enjoy full HD capability, in-camera RAW conversion, and along with built-in Wi-Fi, NFC.
Pros and Cons
- Lots of Accessories – This camera comes with everything you need to start shooting right away, including a card reader, a mini tripod, a three-piece cleaning kit, a memory card wallet, and a bag.
- Memory Card – The class 10 high speed memory card lets you capture hours of video.
- Compact Design – Enjoy all of the features of a big camera in a compact model that is easy to use.
- None – There don’t seem to be any customer complaints regarding this camera.
When Jesse Wellens and Jeana Smith pull pranks on each other (or pulled, as they have split up now I think) they need a camera that is going to capture it all in great detail. They use the Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 12.1MP digital camera with a 10X optical image stabilized zoom.
– Wi-Fi – This camera has Wi-Fi technology built-in that lets you transfer images and videos wirelessly through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY.
– Upload Anywhere – Use the Canon Camera Window app to upload videos from anywhere.
– HD Video – Enjoy full 1080p HD video, with stereo sound, through a dedicated movie button.
Pros and Cons
- View Movies – You can play videos on an HDTV using the HDMI output.
- Zoom – This camera has a 10X optical image stabilized zoom, and you can zoom while shooting.
- Longer Charge – The ECO Mode uses less power, allowing you to shoot longer on one battery.
- Quality – Some users report that the camera stops working properly, and in some cases stops working at all within a few months.
YouTube personality, actor, author, and singer Joey Graceffa needs to know that his camera is going to give him full HD video, and capture everything he points the camera at. He gets all that with the Canon G7 x 9546B001 PowerShot.
– Lens – This camera uses an f/1.8 (W)-f/2.8 (T) 4.2X optical zoom lens that has a nine-blade diaphragm and is IS equipped.
– HD Video – Take 100p/60p full HD videos with up to 60 frames per second.
– LCD – The three-inch touch panel can be positioned at multiple angles for perfect selfies.
– Playback – HD videos can be played on any HDTV with the HDMI output.
Pros and Cons
- Controls – There are many camera modes to shoot with, and the manual controls are fully customizable.
- Compatibility – This camera is compatible with iOS, Android smartphones, and Android tablets.
- Enhanced Wi-Fi – Built-in Wi-Fi technology lets you share and transfer videos and stills easily to social networking sites.
- Outdoor Shooting – Some users report that this camera can’t be used in extreme weather, including cold conditions. It will shut down completely.
Jacksgap – Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS with 1080p Full-HD Video Mode Digital SLR Camera (Body)
Twin brothers Jackson Frayne Harries and Finnegan Frayne Harries started their vlog to chronicle Jack’s gap-year, but it turned into so much more. They need the Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3MP camera body that can use multiple lenses to capture the wide range of cool shots they are known for.
– Extended ISO – If you are into nighttime or action shooting, you need a fast camera. This one has an ISO range of 100-25600.
– Auto Focus – This camera has a 61-point High Density Reticular Auto Focus, making it great when you are out in the field.
– HD Video – Enjoy professional-quality videos with a variety of industry-standard protocols for recording.
Pros and Cons
- Memory Cards – This camera has two slots for both SD and CF memory cards, and it only takes a few seconds to transfer up to 500 images.
- Body – This camera body is made with a new rubber compound that allows for a better grip.
- LCD – The LCD screen has new coatings that allow you to see it better when out in the sunlight, and is more like a smartphone screen.
- Lens – This is a camera body only. You will need to purchase lenses separately.
English fashion and beauty vlogger Zoella needs a camera that will bring out the full beauty in everything she discusses. The Canon PowerShot S120 12.1MP CMOS digital camera can do just that, with a 5X optical zoom.
– Wi-Fi – This camera has built-in Wi-Fi technology that lets you easily transfer images and videos wirelessly through the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY.
– App – You can upload videos from anywhere on your Android or iOS device. Simply download the Canon Camera Window app.
– HD – Shoot in 100p full HD video, and enjoy full stereo sound as well. This camera has a dedicated movie button, and you can zoom while shooting.
Pros and Cons
- Lens – The bright, f/1.8, 24mm wide lens has a 5X optical zoom.
- Low Light – This camera lets you take great videos and photos all the time, even in low light conditions.
- Shutter Speeds – Use the Canon HS SYSTEM to get clearer images using faster shutter speeds with less noise and blur.
- Reliability – Some users report that this camera is not always as reliable as they would like, and that they have needed servicing within two years of purchase.
US YouTuber, writer, and entrepreneur Connor Franta needs a camera that is going to work for a variety of different types of videos. His choice is the Canon EOS Rebel T4i EF-S. This camera offers a nine-point auto focus system that lets him focus quickly.
– HD Video – Shoot in 1080 (30, 25, and 24 fps) and 720 (60 and 50 fps) HD video (up to 29 minutes in H.264 format).
– LCD Screen – The three-inch LED touch panel screen has 1,040,000 dots for amazing clarity.
– Auto Focus – The AI Servo auto focus system lets you have great focus consistently.
Pros and Cons
- Recordings – This camera can shoot in many different recording sizes and frame rates, and you can even do in-camera editing.
- Auto Tracking – The Movie Servo AF lets you enjoy autofocus tracking of moving subjects while recording so you always have a sharp image.
- Microphone – There is an internal stereo microphone with up to 64 sound levels. You can also use external microphones.
- Reliability – Some users have reported reliability and mechanical issues with this camera, requiring servicing.
Professional gamer and gameplay vlogger FaZe Rain needs a camera that will give great close-up shots for gaming enthusiasts. He can do this with the Canon G7 X 9546B001 PowerShot digital camera with a selfie-ready, three-inch touch panel LCD. I know I know, this is the second time this camera has appeared on the list, but that just goes to show how suitable it is for vlogging.
(Some more, slightly different to the last) Features include
– IS – Dynamic, powered, macro (hybrid) and active tripod is are great for shooting videos at wide-angle focal lengths, and avoiding camera shake while moving around.
– Manual Control – You can enjoy the various modes, or take control of the settings yourself with full manual control (and manual movie mode).
– HDTV Ready – Plug the camera into any HDTV through the HDMI output for viewing on a big screen.
Pros and Cons
- HD – Shoot in 1080p full HD, recorded at 60 frames per second in full stereo.
- Focus Points – Select focus points with the touch panel LCD screen, both before and during shooting.
- Apple iFrame – Record in the Apple iFrame format that helps to make importing and editing videos faster.
- Wi-Fi – Some users report that the Wi-Fi set up isn’t overly user-friendly and can be confusing.
Cameras YouTubers use Summary
As you can see, the recording equipment that YouTube vloggers varies from person to person. This is often down to such things as the style of the vlog, the vloggers recording style and personal preference.
This is one of the great things about creating vlogs. The camera that you use doesn’t really matter. As long as you are happy using it, and you are satisfied with the quality of footage it produces, you are onto a winner!