So, you have decided to enter the world of professional vlogging. This is a great way to make extra money, and many people can earn a full-time income by producing their own YouTube videos by best vlogging camera under $200. All it takes is hard work, determination and the right tools for the job.
However, you don’t need a tonne of equipment to get started. Your initial costs can be minimal if you know what you’re looking for regarding gear. It’s also essential to remember and understand that expensive equipment doesn’t always necessarily mean it’s better
- 1 Gear You will Need for Vlogging
- 2 Nikon Coolpix L340 20.2 MP Digital Camera with 28x Optical Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 with 20.0 MP CCD Sensor and 8x Optical Zoom
- 6 Pros
- 7 Cons
- 8 Sony DSCW800/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera
- 9 Pros
- 10 Cons
- 11 PowerLead PL2803 2.7inch 18MP Mini Digital Camera
- 12 Pros
- 13 Cons
- 14 Kodak PIXPRO Friendly Zoom FZ43 16 MP Digital Camera
- 15 Pros
- 16 Cons
- 17 Panasonic DMC-TS30K LUMIX Active Lifestyle Tough Camera
- 18 Pros
- 19 Cons
Gear You will Need for Vlogging
You could have an entire studio’s worth of recording gear if you want, but in reality, this isn’t necessary. In short, to get started off with vlogging, there are five essential pieces of gear that you’re going to need:
Lighting – You’ll need to have good lighting to create a good vlog. You can really tell the difference between a professional vlog and an amateur one, just from how the lighting is set up.
Professionals know that they need to use decent lighting equipment to get the right effect and quality in their footage. You can get indoor light kits that are reasonably priced if you aren’t ready to spend a ton of money right away.
Microphone – You’re also going to need to be able to provide high-quality audio, and for this, you will need a good microphone.
Many video cameras already have an integrated microphone, but professional vloggers often prefer to hook up an external microphone that’s going to give them a better sounding audio quality for more professional-appearing videos.
Computer – The best way to store and edit your vlogs is by using a laptop or desktop computer. Another option is the iPad Pro if you don’t have time to sit down at a computer for editing, sharing, etc.
Software – Along with a computer, you’re going to need a good editing software package. If you really want to have professional-quality videos, you need professional editing software. One of the best platforms is Apple’s Final Cut Pro X.
This is great editing software for beginners, because it’s a lot easier to use than other competitive software, and you can use it with your tablet or phone as well as a computer.
Camera – Last, but definitely not least, you’re going to need a good camera. However, don’t think that you’ll have to go out and spend a lot of money on a camera that’s loaded with features you’ll likely to never use.
Check out the following six cameras that you can buy for less than $200. Any of them will be ideal for your foray into vlogging.
The Nikon Coolpix L340 has everything you need to get started in the vlogging industry. This 20.2MP digital camera offers a 28X optical zoom and 56X dynamic fine zoom so that you can get close-up shots from a distance. The CCD sensor gives you bright, clear photos, and full HD video recording capabilities.
Personally, this is one of my favorite cameras. I’ve used this for both photography and videography projects for many years now. The zoom and the image quality are excellent, and it’s so user-friendly. It was easy to pick up, making it suitable for both beginners and professionals alike.
The one downside I did notice was that there’s a slight delay when using the macro focus feature which clocks in at around five seconds. So, if you were taking a picture of an insect, for example, it has a lot of time to fly away before you can capture that picture shot.
However, for vlogging, this may not be a feature that you often use so it shouldn’t be a problem.
Some of the leading features this camera has includes:
Video Recording – You can enjoy shooting in full-HD 720p with a camera that has a built-in microphone to capture sound so you can save money by not having to invest in an additional microphone.
Design – The ergonomic design allows you to hold onto this camera for extended periods of time comfortably. Additionally, all the controls are located in easily accessible locations.
LCD – The large LCD-display allows you to compose shots and monitor videos effortlessly while you’re recording. You’ll also be able to review your photos and videos directly through the device.
- Widescreen – Shoot outstanding full-HD 720p videos in widescreen format. This allows you to capture a lot more detail and really bring your vlogs to life.
- Great Optics – This camera comes equipped with a superior-quality NIKKOR lens. These optics allow you to get better close-ups, zoom in from farther away, and capture super-sharp videos.
- Accessories – Start shooting right away. This camera comes with everything you need, including 4x AA alkaline batteries, a lens cap with a cord, a USB cable, and a camera strap.
- Focusing – Some users have reported focusing issues. They say that they’re having difficulties capturing clear images, even when shooting on bright, sunny days.
The Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 has an 8X optical zoom with an optical image stabilizer so you can capture clear, sharp pictures and videos. The ingenious smart AUTO mode will select the right settings for you if you’re not used to setting it up yourself, allowing you to be safe in the knowledge that your videos will always look terrific.
For a pocket camera, this is ideal. I borrowed one of these cameras from one of my photographer friends and I loved it so much that I had to buy one for myself. It may not be as fully-featured as some of the other cameras on my list, but it definitely packs a punch as far as a digital compact camera go.
If you’re working on your vlogs in your house or studio, you may be looking for something that produces a bit more of a quality image and has more features. However, when you’re out and about, it’s much easier to simply keep this in your pocket, ready to go at a moment’s notice.
Some of the more beneficial features include:
Sensor – This camera has a 20.0MP CCD sensor that works in combination with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor for amazing image quality.
Digital IS – Say goodbye to that annoying camera shake that causes blurred images since this camera has Digital IS (Image Stabilization) software. This means you can ensure a clear image even if the camera shakes or your subject moves.
HD Video – Shoot in 720p HD video simply by pressing the dedicated movie button. Your videos will be sharp and lifelike, perfect for vlogging.
- Smart AUTO – This feature will select the ideal settings based on the current conditions you’re shooting in. This means that you’ll get great photos and videos, even in low light conditions.
- Scene Modes – You can have loads of fun with the various scene modes, including Fisheye Effect, Toy Camera Effect, and Monochrome. It’s time to get really creative when creating vlogs with a new perspective that your subscribers are going to love.
- Editing – You can complete a lot of bulk-editing tasks right on the camera. For instance, if you don’t want certain scenes you have recorded, you can delete them during playback.
- Focus – Many users have reported focusing issues. Some say the device works fine for a few months and then begins to fail, while others say focusing has failed from the outset.
The Sony DSCW800/B digital camera lets you capture perfect shots and videos every time. The Sony Lens has an F3.2 (W) – 6.4 (T) maximum aperture, and blur is dramatically reduced using SteadyShot Image Stabilization.
As we all know, Sony is a leading brand when it comes to technology, and this camera is no exception. Perfectly designed for both professional photographs looking for a tidy and sophisticated point-and-shoot camera and beginners who want to learn the tricks of the trade.
Personally, when I had this camera, this was one that I used to keep in the car or vehicle I was traveling in. It was easy to charge thanks to the USB charging capabilities, so I could even plug it into my portable solar panel during long trips away.
You may not have the image quality and features that the more expensive DSLR cameras have but, the 20.1-megapixel resolution and 5x Optical Zoom is more than enough to record full-HD vlogs that your followers will love.
Some of the essential features include:
HAD CCD Sensor – This feature allows you to capture images with amazing clarity and color. The contrast is perfect, and you’ll see every little detail in your photos and videos.
Easy Mode – This camera is made to be ideal for beginners as it allows you to shoot in easy mode. This means you can reduce the layers in the menu so you can shoot easily and without distraction.
Battery – It’s easy to charge the battery using the included USB. All you have to do is connect the camera to your PC USB port or a power supply, and you can charge from anywhere, even a portable battery pack.
- In-Camera Guide – We love this built-in instruction manual that lets you check out all of your camera’s functions, even while you’re on the go.
- Recording – You can record videos up to 29 minutes in length, so it’s easy to create long video segments for longer vlogs without having to worry about stopping and restarting your device.
- IS – The SteadyShot Image Stabilization feature allows you to capture great shots, even if the camera is shaking or there’s movement in your photos or videos.
- Charging – Some users say that this camera does not properly charge after the first few charges. Some say it doesn’t charge at all. If this becomes a problem, just contact the customer support team to utilize your device’s warranty.
The PowerLead L2803 mini digital camera is great for when you’re on the go and don’t want to lug around a heavy camera. This device houses a tonne of functions, including Face Detection, Smile Capture, Continue Shot, a Self-Timer, and more.
I can’t recommend this camera enough. As a mini-digital camera, of course, it won’t have all the features that a $600 DSLR will have, but for this price tag, you won’t find this level of quality or functionality anywhere else.
For beginners, it can be a bit of a learning curve as the layout and the menus, etc. are slightly different to traditional cameras, but with a couple of hours practice, this will no longer be a problem. One problem I did find is that the built-in screen isn’t high-quality so pictures and videos may seem fuzzy but once you upload them to a computer, you’ll realize they’re still an acceptable quality for your vlog.
Some of the main advantages of this device include:
The Software – The Pho Tags Express software allows you to manage all your photos and videos easily. Furthermore, this software grants you the ability to enhance your photos and videos.
The Lens – The lens may be low-end, but it still provides outstanding image and video quality. You’ll enjoy great lighting and shooting effects for awesome
The Warranty – This camera comes with an included 12-month warranty, along with a 30-day free exchange period if you aren’t completely happy with it from the word Go.
- Cost – This is a low-priced, entry-level camera that’s ideal for someone who’s just getting in vlogging industry and doesn’t have a huge, lucrative budget.
- Accessories – This camera comes with everything you need to get started. Inside the box, you’ll find a USB cable, a driver disk, a charger, and the user manual.
- Macro Mode – If you want to get really close up and personal, the macro mode will let you take awesome close-ups in crisp, high-quality detail that your subscribers will adore.
- None – So far, the complaints we hear about this camera are so minimal they almost aren’t worth mentioning. The only real issue is that it’s not a plug & play device.
The Kodak PIXPRO Friendly Zoom FZ43 is a 6MP digital camera that offers a 4X optical zoom. The 27mm wide-angle lens lets you capture full scenes in great details, and you can easily see everything on the 2.7-inch LCD screen.
If you’re looking for value for money, this nifty little model from Kodak will leave you breathless. As far as point-and-shoot cameras go, this is one of my personal market leaders. All the pictures I’ve ever taken with this camera come out crisp and clear with good lighting balance and the portability you’ll have is unparalleled.
This is one of those cameras you can simply pop in your bag or pocket and take with you wherever you go. As far as vlogging goes, this is perfect for when you’re out and about and would make a great, affordable addition to your camera inventory. However, for in studio recording, you may find it much more effective to have a more dedicated video camera.
However, you’ll also be able to enjoy features such as:
HD Video Recording – Take full advantage of one-touch video recording with 720p HD video. You can grab frames instantly and turn them into awesome
LCD Monitor – The 2.7-inch LCD monitor is crisp and clear, and you’ll be able to see everything in outstanding detail. You’ll also be able to line up your frames perfectly, guaranteeing a high-quality shot every time.
Sensor – This 16.5MP camera has a CCD sensor. While it does tend to use more power than other sensors, it’s worth it because it helps you to capture shots in any lighting situation.
- Optical Zoom – You’ll be shooting with a 4X optical zoom, with boasts a focal length of 27mm-108mm. This is a wide-angle lens, so you’ll be able to fit more into each frame.
- Scene Modes – This camera has 23 unique and engaging scene modes including Anti-Shake, Auto Scene, Landscape, Sketch, Night Portrait, Party, allowing you to get really
- Value – This is an affordable camera that simply excels in getting the job done. For a first vlogging camera under $200, this camera is simply
- Battery Life – Some users report that this camera tends to drain the batteries quickly. In some cases, there are reports that users have had to change batteries up to three times in one day.
The Panasonic CMD-TS30K LUMIX active lifestyle tough camera is ideal for vloggers who are recording lots of action. There is an extensive collection of cool effects that you can use, enabling you can to get really creative with your videos and photos.
Panasonic has done it again. A renowned brand in the camera industry, this little adventure camera has been with me all over the world. The waterproof design is ideal for capturing unique shots with a new perspective which always leave people going ‘wow, that’s amazing!’
As a far as a point-and-shoot camera goes, this will have everything you need to get started on your vlogging career. I highly recommend this camera for those partaking in adventure sports or traveling to exotic or challenging places since you can simply pop it into your pocket until you need it. What’s more, it won’t weigh you down.
You’ll be able to enjoy features such as:
Waterproof Design– You can capture all the fun in your favorite water sports thanks to this device’s waterproof design. You can take this camera into the water up to 26-feet deep. This camera is also shockproof to 4.9 feet and freezeproof to 14°F.
Creative Control – You’ll have total Creative Control directly from the recording mode. You’ll also be able to benefit from the innovative Creative Retouch settings, found in playback mode.
Built-In Memory – Traditionally, a lot of smaller cameras don’t have integrated memory. However, this one does, so you don’t need to go out and purchase a memory card right away. This allows you to spend your budget a lot more efficiently.
- HD Video – Enjoy dynamic MP4 HD video in 1280 X 720p. All you need to do is press a button to begin recording.
- Torch Light – Even if the conditions are dark, you’ll be able to use the torch light to get great videos, even when you’re underwater.
- Time Lapse – You can set up this camera to record time-lapse videos, such as flowers blooming, clouds moving, etc. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for your vlog.
- Not Waterproof – Even though this camera is supposed to be waterproof, some users have reported that it’s actually not as the gasket seems to be ineffective.
Vlogging camera under $200 Conclusion
Taking your first steps into the world of vlogging is loads of fun, and, fortunately, you don’t have to spend a lot to get started.
The cameras we looked at today are all great choices when it comes to creating first vlogs, and you may find one that you like so much that it remains your first choice for a camera for many videos to come.
If you want to create vlogs with just your smartphone, check out this article here